What is HHW?

Household Hazardous Waste, commonly referred to as HHW, contains hazardous ingredients. Examples include paints, stains, fertilizers, pesticides, cleansers, solvents, and flammable liquids. All of these should be used, stored, and disposed of responsibly.

Read the labels of the products in your home. Words such as poison, toxic, corrosive, volatile, flammable, inflammable, combustible, explosive, danger, caution, and warning are signs that the contents are hazardous.

Where can I dispose of HHW items?

The Summit County Resource Allocation Park (SCRAP) accepts household hazardous waste for safe disposal and/or recycling. This service is free to all Summit County residents and property owners, thanks to the Safety First Fund, passed by local voters in November 2014. Proof of residency or property ownership is required with all drop-offs. Household hazardous waste is accepted Monday-Friday, 7 am to 3:30 pm and Saturday 7 am to noon. Materials must be in their original containers and/or clearly labeled. 

Pharmaceutical Take-Back Program

The Pharmaceutical Take-Back program allows people to drop-off their unused or unwanted medications, OTC drugs, and prescriptions into designated bins. The program was created in partnership with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, the Summit County Water Quality Committee, and the Summit County Sheriff’s Department.

You can dispose of accepted items in secure collection bins at:

  • Summit County Justice Center | Breckenridge
    501 N. Park Ave.
    Open 24/7 for Prescription Drop-Off
  • Dillon Police Department | Dillon
    275 Lake Dillon Dr.
    8:00am – 4:30pm M-F
  • Prescription Alternatives | Frisco
    610 Main St.
    10:00am – 6:00pm M-F

Never flush pharmaceuticals down the toilet. Flushing or throwing away unused or unwanted medications can cause pollution of our lakes, streams, and water supplies.

How do I dispose of Injectable Products?

To prevent someone from accidentally being stuck, these items should be placed into a plastic, puncture-proof container. FDA-approved sharps containers are the appropriate containers for injectables. These are available at pharmacies, medical facilities, and medical supply companies. If one is unable to get an FDA-approved container, use a container made of heavy-duty plastic. These should be dropped off at approved collection locations such as pharmacies or hospitals.

You can dispose of accepted items in secure collection bins at:

  • Summit County Justice Center | Breckenridge
    501 N. Park Ave.
    8am – 4pm M-F

Safe Options For Home Needle Disposal
Safely Using Sharps (Needles & Syringes) at Home, at Work, and Elsewhere
Disposing of Needles: Get the Point

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search